Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Irish Every Day



My new part time job has not helped with my depression like I was hopeful it would. The place is understaffed and the expectations for the associates are unreasonable with the lack of coverage...therefore, I feel extremely stressed every time I work. I've come home crying on multiple occasions...

However, I feel like I wouldn't be having such a difficult time handling the stress if I wasn't dealing with clinical depression. At this point, though, it is what it is. My husband has been very supportive, thankfully! He may not understand it, but he knows how to comfort me...and surprise me!



Back story time! March 17, 2010, I woke up with the unbearable pain of a kidney stone. I knew what it was because it was my second experience...the first time I thought I was dying. So, I still felt like I was dying, but at least I knew what it was. My St. Patrick's Day was ruined...I went in to the hospital that morning and had surgery the next evening. My friends brought me balloons and flowers...my best bud brought me the commemorative mug that O'Connell's sells every year. And, Tom sat next to my hospital bed until I slept...

After my recovery and removal of the stint and end of antibiotics, Tom surprised me with a make up St. Patty's Day celebration. He called all of our friends and had them meet at O'Connell's Irish Pub with St. Pat's decorations, green beads, and even an Irish Princess tiara for me...I was legit surprised and so very very touched. He understood how much I love the holiday...how every year I would try and take the day and day after off, so I could drink green beer, hang with good friends, and listen to awesome live music all day. My friend, Michelle, and Tom put together a really great party for me to have a belated celebration, and it was as good and even better than every year before!

The week leading to this year's St. Patrick's Day was hard because of the stress and depression I was feeling from work. I couldn't even get excited about it! I knew we wouldn't be able to even enjoy the day because Tom and I both had to work the following Monday...so we planned on having friends over Saturday night. I came home from work on Friday crying, and I went to work the next morning feeling sick and awful. I text Tom at lunch that I was going to try and come home early...I was feeling too sick and down to even think about having people over that night. Lucky for me, work let me leave early...





Tom once again surprised me with plans he made for our party! I walked through the door to a decorated home complete with balloons and shamrock cookies...even a lighted shamrock in the window. He had my favorite flowers, daisies, for me as well as green beads. And he tidied up the place too!!! Swoon! He lifted my spirits with his thoughtfulness and attention. I took some medicine and a long nap, so when I woke, I was ready to celebrate with our friends. We drank green beer and green whiskey, and we played cards and listened to music...lots of laughter and smiles :) I am so grateful for this husband of mine...

  
 



It's not just a silly holiday...Tom knows how much I love my Irish ancestry...going to Ireland is one of my biggest dreams! My sweet husband has Irish ancestry as well! So we're not just Irish for a day...we're Irish every day...and we have year round decor to prove it! While Tom was deployed, he made a really cool purchase for us...the crests and origins of our family names...


 



They're above the fireplace right now, but I don't feel like they get enough light there, so I will be moving them. But, they are by far 3 of my very favorite things on our walls! They were a wonderful gift from my husband and now a daily reminder of his thoughtfulness and care he gives me all the time and especially with surprises like this St. Patrick's Day celebration.


No comments:

Post a Comment